Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A Reflection

Have you ever noticed how all the different ways Jesus is portrayed in movies, paintings and drawings look very similar? The long dirty blond hair, blue eyes, facial hair, tall and lean... even the way they seem to make him look contemplative, mysterious and walk with such grace.
Jesus said in John 14:7 "If you had known Me, you would have known My Father also; and from now on you know Him and have seen Him."  But does this really mean that is what God looks like?

My wife and I have two beautiful daughters; Mikayla age 9, Jaiden age 6. Both of them are amazing kids, beautiful and full of life. Now, I'm 50% Korean, and look like I've got some Asian heritage in me. My girls... don't look like that at all. As a matter of fact, when I've gone to assist in their class at school, many of their friends will lean over to them and say: "That doesn't look like your dad."

Scripture gives very little detail of what God or Jesus looks like. I have wondered, with all the letters and writtings that make up the Bible, why didn't anyone do any drawings? Truth is, we have more words that describe the atributes, qualities and characteristics of God than we do of His physical appearance.

I believe the church should be a reflection of what heaven is like. I know that heaven is the place where those who have declared Jesus as Savior and Lord of their life will dwell, but I would define heaven as the place that has the fullness of God. He's love, grace, joy, peace, beauty, comfort, wisdom, compassion, gentleness, strength, hope, warmth, etc. I believe the church should be a reflection of heaven.

The fullness of God is within the hearts of His people, but is still being revealed by the Holy Spirit and by the Word of God. This doesn't happen because we go to church, but it happens as we become the church. When you read the bible, you see that all sorts of people were drawn to Jesus; young and old, the sick and the healthy, the critics and compelled, sinners, doubters, those with great aspirations and desires, and those with no hope.

Our churches should be a place that becomes irresistible to all people, and a place that welcomes all people. The curious, the seeking, the hopeless, the hurting, the rich, the poor, the silent, the discouraged, etc. The church cannot be a place for perfect people... because perfect people don't exist!

This may sound ideal or impossible, but Jesus tells us to pray: "Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." (Matthew 6:9)  This is the church I want to see... more importantly, this is the church Jesus sees!

No comments:

Post a Comment