Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Christmas Lights

Of all the different decorations we put up, my favorite things are lights. They set the mood and add so much... white lights are my choice.

Light has always held significant spiritual imagery throughout scripture: light was the first thing God created, it's a symbol of goodness and blessing, the battle of darkness is conquered with light. And unlike the some of the other introductions of the birth of Jesus, the Gospel of John speaks of Jesus as coming as THE Light of the World.

"The One who is the true light, who gives light to everyone, was coming into the world." - John 1:9 NLT

One of the things I want to do this Christmas is to give the gift of light. What does that mean? With the news being full of negativity, speaking of the declining economy, one tragedy after another... which only breeds worry, doubt and fear; I want to bring a message of good news like Jesus did. I want to set a positive mood in the lives of people just like Jesus did: to encourage them in practical ways, stir hope within their hearts, lift their spirit and instill confidence deep within.

Think about giving something this Christmas that is more precious than the most expensive gift you could ever buy... give yourself! Don't just give a gift, BE a gift! Through our words, acts of kindness, being a helping hand or a listening ear, or our house becoming a home. This requires the giving of ourselves... genuine care for others. Be a living light!

God, during this time of year, help me go beyond myself and see the value of those around me. What I have to offer may seem so little to me, but priceless to them. May my words be seasoned with grace, my actions pure, my hands gentle and caring... like you. Help me reflect the light that you embodied.

No comments:

Post a Comment