Tuesday, December 16, 2008

My Christmas List

What do you want for Christmas? My wife and I have asked our girls this question, and sure enough they had their list. At the top is a Wii. I remember as a kid, each year I had my big items: new bike, big wheel (do you know what that is?), radio controlled car, train set, Atari game system, walkman (tape player with headphones)... I know this dates me!

Maybe it happens to all of us as we get older, but the question; "What do you want for Christmas?" isn't as easily answered. We know that Christmas isn't about getting gifts or giving gifts, but about Jesus Christ being born and the incredible impact He made to this world. Distinguishing time (BC vs. AD), removed the bondage of law and religion and restored relationship between God and mankind through His death and resurrection, paying the debt of all our sins. Jesus... the Son of God. Emanuel... God with us. Our Savior and Lord... the friend of sinners.

What do you want for Christmas? Let me ask this another way... what are you wanting Christ to do in your life? This is what I would say is my Christ List... courage to meet the challenges in my life, wisdom for the decisions that need to be made, relationships to be mended that are strained, that my marriage and family will grow stronger, better control of my tongue, not becoming easily angered, finances for our church, jobs for friends that are without...

What is your Christ List? What is it that is close to your heart, pressing in your life, what's deeper and more meaningful than the latest gadget that you are needing God to do in your life? Let this Christmas begin a new work in your life. Allow God to be involved in a greater way.

God, you have blessed me with so much, and there is so much more inside of me that I need. Don't let me become so consumed with the things around me that I neglect those things in me that I deal with each day, and don't let me try to do it on my own. Help me unwrap my tendency to do things my way and find Your strength and will working in my life.

1 comment:

  1. I love and agree with your prayer at the end. It spoke straight to my heart. Thank you...

    ReplyDelete