Thursday, April 29, 2010

It's Time To Eat

I was recently given teaching from one of the greatest preachers of our time; Bishop TD Jakes. I have it my car and have been listening to it over and over again for the past 3 weeks. Needless to say, I can't get enough of it... it's powerful!
One of the things that I have been thinking about is how after Elijah did all these incredible acts of God: calling fire down from heaven and proving the reality and power of God to those who worship the false god Baal, and ending a drought by calling forth rain; that Elijah found himself running in fear from a threat from Queen Jezebel. (read 1 Kings 18 & 19)

This man was called, anointed and appointed to be used by God; and seemed to be very effective in what he did, now finds himself on the run and in hiding. It's as if everyone saw him as 'Superman' and now reveals his "Clark Kent' underneath a broom tree longing to die!

1 Kings 19:4-5 ...while he himself [alone] went a day's journey inot the desert. He came to a broom tree, sand down under it and prayed that he might die, "I have had enough, Lord," he said. "Take my life; I am no better than my ancenstors." Then he lay down under the tree and fell asleep. All at once an angel touched him and said, "Get up and eat."

Elijah's depressed state was a symptom of loneliness and fatigue. Anyone: including good-hearted, hardworking, sincere godly people; can find themselves so caught up in the doing of good and even God honoring things, that they forget to take time to rest and feed themselves. One can give of themselves so much that they leave nothing left for them. Giving so much encouragement to others can leave yourself empty and discouraged.

Elijah was so tapped out, that all he wanted to do was rest... even die. So he does what many have done; crawls away just wanting a break and in need of rest, yet he forgets to simply take the time to feed himself. God interrupts Elijah efforts to just get away to rest by waking him up saying... it's time to eat!

The awesome thing is that God took the time to prepare for Elijah some freshly baked break, still over the coals and a something to drink. It wasn't days old, or some left overs that God had in His ice box. It was better than a home cooked meal from grandma's house... it was from God Himself!

How many times have I wanted to go through the 'heavenly drive-thru' for a quick bite as I'm on the way to my next assignment? Out of convenience and even my thoughts of 'ministerial call of duty' I have failed to fuel and feed myself appropiately by spending adiquate time allowing God to give me a what He's been preparing for me.

God knows I'm not 'Superman'... as a matter of fact, He wants me to be 'Clark Kent'.

Lord, forgive me for not taking time to eat. Thank You for knowing what I need even when I neglect my own well being. Help me to rest and take time to feed at Your table.

No comments:

Post a Comment