Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The View

Romans 12:1-2  "...in view of God's mercy... be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - His good, pleasing and perfect will."

Being a parent is a challenge. If you're a parent, you understand that. The greatest weight of responsibility I feel I have as a parent is to train my two girls to become all that God has intended them to be. I want the best for them, even when I'm not around. When I look at the day to day activities, I can run myself ragged if all I'm doing is addressing their actions, conversations, attitudes... trying to keep them on the 'right road'.

The reality is that I only have about 8 to 10 years left before I lose my years of influence and training. As they grow up, their seasons of life bring new challenges for me as a parent. I've come to believe that my greatest priority is to shape and influence their mind. Either I'm going to be giving them fish for 18 years, or I'm going to teach them how to fish. Their life is going to go beyond the days they have in our home, but my influence can go with them everyday of their life.

The church really is the sum of God's children, He is our father. To think that God is going to chase us everyday of our lives trying to correct every action, blow the whistle on bad attitudes, and slap our hands when we do the wrong things... even God doesn't have enough time or energy to do that everyday. Many people have this view of God.

As I get older, I realize that my view of what my parents did for me they did with the motive of love. It humbles me and gives me greater appreciation and love for what they did. When was the last time we stepped back and took a different view of what God has done in our life? How long has it been that since we've taken inventory of God's mercy and reminded ourselves that He desires His good, pleasing perfect will for us?

The view I have will determines what I think. If I keep His point of view, I can be transformed in my mind. And if my mind is transformed, I can experience His best in my life!

Lord thank you for your love and mercy. Help correct my vision and mold my heart to be transformed by seeing what you see. Teach me to walk each day of my life with eyes of mercy for those around me. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment