Tuesday, September 15, 2009

What If I Fall?

The life of Peter, one of Jesus' disciples, is a great encouragement to me. He literally became a pioneer to today's church in spite of his enormous flaws and failures. Even when Jesus told Peter that he would deny Him three times by days end, Peter still messed up. He even declared to Jesus that he would go to prison and even die for Jesus instead of denying Him.

This weekend at Faith Family Church we introduced new series entitled GET UP! All of us fail or 'fall short' in life. At times it sounds like a cop-out or a statement that's used as a larger than life eraser... attempting to make excuses for the choices we make.

When I read about the dialogue between Peter and Jesus, I have to ask myself..."How would I handle this?"
How would I handle Jesus telling me that I'm going to fail?
Isn't He suppose to keep me from failing?
How would I react?
Would I discredit His words?
Could I accept it?
What would it say of my faith or commitment to Jesus if I accepted this word and tried not to fail?
Probably the most difficult one...
If I accepted the fact that I'm going to fail in life, why do I try so hard not to fail?

I'm not one who handles failures well. I have expectation of myself, and feel that others are depending on me to not fail. My wife doesn't want to see me fail, neither do my friends, my church, etc... How do I process this? One things stands out to me is amazing truth... Jesus knows that I will fall and He still gives Himself fully to me!
He loves me the same, (others may not)
His plans for my life are still good, (others might)
heaven isn't off limits, (relationship with others may)
He doesn't treat me any differently... (other would)
He doens't change! But I do :)

No comments:

Post a Comment