Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Spirit of Christmas

Each night as I make my way back home, I see more homes getting into the Christmas Spirit; lights on the house and out in the yard, wreaths on doors and decorated trees in the window. Then I get to my house... nothing. No lights mounted yet, no tree inside. It doesn't look like there's any Christmas Spirit in our house.

What is the Spirit of Christmas? Is it the lights, decorations, egg nog and the shopping frenzie? Obviously not... but what is it?

During our staff devotions this week we came across a verse that I believe that identifies what the Christmas Spirit is. It wasn't in any of the typical portions of scripture that tells us of the birth of Jesus. It's found in 1 Corinthians 15:45 "The first man, Adam, became a living person. But the last Adam - that is Christ - is a life-giving Spirit."

The first Adam represents us, humanity. We didn't create ourselves, we were created by God; all different and unique, living, moving, working, functioning, thinking, capable, breathing beings. We were given this life. We didn't choose to become living beings.

But we do have a choice at how we can live this life. This is where the gift of the second Adam - that is Christ - comes in to play.
  • Jesus is the greatest gift to you and I - Adam/humanity/life.
  • Jesus is a gift we choose to accept of reject.
  • Jesus is what Christmas is all about.
  • Jesus is the life giving Spirit.
  • You can't choose to have Jesus and not choose to have a life giving spirit.
The life giving spirit of Jesus follows those that follow Jesus Christ.  
John 14:6 Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, the life"
John 10:10 "I have come that you may life, and have it more abundantly."

When people see my life (like when I see the houses when I drive by), do people see the life giving spirit being displayed? Is the same life giving spirit of Jesus being seen in me when I'm interacting with others or am I angry, negative, critical and judgemental?

Let's go beyond decorate your house with Christmas lights, let's display the life giving spirit of Christ through how we live life. Let's celebrating the day Jesus was born in us by living every day with the life giving spirit of Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment