Sunday, December 13, 2009

Being A Father

Our youngest daughter celebrated her 6th birthday this past weekend... she's growing up so fast! It's exciting to see her personality develop and watch her discover her passions and talents. She loves to color, sing and dance. I love sitting with her and look into her BIG brown eyes! Her laugh is contagious and has a wonderful personality. She's so determined and strong-willed that it drives me nuts... (that's probably because she's a lot like me).

I'm still in awe that I'm a father. The responsibility is great, but so are the rewards. My attitude as a father is that I'm the primary influence in their lives. If I were to narrow it down to some practical things it would be as follows:
  • to model a life that is fully committed to personally follow Jesus Christ; not just reading the bible but living the bible, not just singing worship songs but living a life that worships God by putting Him first, not just giving money but generously sacrificing all I've got to His purpose, not just being tolerant of people but walking in forgiveness, loving God by loving people.
  • to model what a real man is for their future husband; serving my wife out of love, resolving conflict in a healthy way that restores each other, showing affection to my wife that instills confidence and peace of mind, leading my home by being a servant, working hard to provide for our home, taking time to give memories and experiences not just possessions.
  • to teach them how to think not just how to behave; by asking questions to develop a sharp mind, clearly define boundries while give responsibility, giving positive verbal feedback to build confidence, not softening consequences to train and discipline, allow the to try new things and not being afraid to fail.
I ultimately know that my girls will someday leave the house and have a life and family of their own. As difficult as it may be, I have to parent with understanding that I must train them to leave the nest and live their life. That happens now... I won't be at their school every day to govern their actions, I won't physically be with all their friends as they get older and face the peer pressures. I must take this time and make the most of these opportunities now to influence and lead them for their future.

I pray often for them, ask God for wisdom, try my best, learn from others, ask my kids to forgive me when I've messed up... I love being a father, and I pray they will be able to learn what they need to learn by the way I live and lead my life.

1 comment:

  1. Love it...this post reminds me of when I was a know-it-all college student, replying to my mother's normal concerns for her daughter... "Have you no confidence in how well you've parented me?"

    ReplyDelete