Monday, February 9, 2009

Grace Revolution


Luke 7:50 And He [Jesus] said to the woman [a prostitute], "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace."

The message of Jesus Christ was revolutionary, and anything revolutionary is controversial in nature... that's the nature of change. This message of GRACE was such a paradigm shift, that it got Him crucified. Here's a question for us to ponder: Who had the most difficultly embracing this message of grace? Answer: those who were fully devoted to a system of religion.

Today, this same message of GRACE is still a difficult thing for may people... including me! If we stop and really think about how most Christians live out their faith and measure their 'success', it's usually based on what good things they do and what bad things they have the ability to abstain from. This is a deep rooted issue that goes beyond faith or religion. Think about how we find value in ourselves, or where we get our sense of identity. Our world functions and measures things based on achievements and a system of rewards.

GRACE addresses something deeper than what you believe about spiritual things; although it heavily impacts this perception, it really comes down to discovering the real me. If I as a person find my sense of value, worth or identity as one who can pastor a growing, successful church, what is my identity if my church doesn't grow or even declines? This can be used in any profession or area of gifted ability (athletics, arts, business, etc.), as well as ones understanding of faith and their personal relationship with God.

If I read my bible, or read my bible more, God is more pleased with me. If I pray, show kindness to others, don't do what other bad people do... then I'll be making God happy or happier. In reality what we are saying is that I'll feel better about myself! GRACE single handily removes this performance factor mentality from God's standpoint. Jesus told the woman to "Go in peace" because of her faith that saved her. When we find true GRACE, we can walk in true peace!

Wayne Jacobsen ~ Religion offers us the illusion of earning acceptance, but is only a cheap substitute for the reality of life in Him.

The apostle Paul says: For He [God] made Him [Jesus] who knew no sin to be sin for us, that we might become the righteousness of God in Him. (2 Corinthians 5:21 NKJ)

GRACE says: You did nothing to become righteous, just as Jesus did nothing to become sin. All our efforts to achieve God's approval in what we do or don't do doesn't lead to peace, only more religion and anxiety. Religion is anything but peacefully! Walk in the peace that is found in God's GRACE.

No comments:

Post a Comment