Saturday, November 15, 2008

Think Parenting

Deuteronomy 6:6,7 "These commandments I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children..."
I had a conversation today about the philosophy of parenting. It's the greatest challenge and most rewarding gift in my life.
My role as a father is to empower them to live as God has created them and release them to fulfill their destiny. This first starts with me. I'm to be the greatest influence in their life, so my life is to be an example, it must be upon my heart. None of us are perfect and we need God's wisdom and grace to walk this out everyday!
Sharing, learning responsibility, eating your vegetables, being kind to others... all this is important; but to teach them how to think is the greatest objective my wife and I can do. That ability to understand how to process and what to process in the intersections of decision critical. Right or wrong, good or best, friends, finances, facing challenges or finding comfort... all of these boil down to ones ability to think beyond the moment.
God thank you for these precious gifts, each are uniquely created by You. Help me to be the model I need to be, to walk in wisdom and grace. Give them a teachable spirit and the strength to do and stand for what is right even if others may don't understand...

1 comment: