Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Patterns

1 Timothy 1:13 -  What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus.

The Apostle Paul was a mentor to Timothy, and gave a bold statement; pattern your life after mine. This may sound arrogant, proud or presumptuous, however Paul recognizes that patterns are important to life. I have some questions and thoughts stirring from this verse.


"...the pattern..." What are the patterns that I live by?  My wife and I have a pattern for how we parent. To say that the pattern my wife and I have for parenting is the pattern may be offensive to those who don't agree. Paul was a follower of Jesus Christ. BTW - Jesus declared Himself as "the way, the truth and the life". Paul embraced Jesus Christ as the pattern for his life, and called to Timothy to the pattern of his life... the life and the pattern of Jesus Christ.

"...heard from me..." Where did the patterns for my life come from? Parents, books, teachers, friends, personal experiences; all of these have potential for influence. We ulitmately choose what will influence us. Timothy was mentored by Paul, a relationship that was honoring, valued and influential. Paul had a track record of success, and not something that happened overnight, it was proven through great adversity... "a sound pattern..." found in Jesus Christ.

"...keep as the pattern..." How committed am I to these patterns? To keep, be true, loyal and committed are rare qualities that people have in our consumer society. We buy what's on sale at the grocery store rather than a particular label, or switch phone service providers because of what seems to be a better offer. Companies spend billions of dollars in advertising to get us to switch from what we currently have/use to theirs... Mac vs PC. When adversity comes, or the latest new thing about what's going to make the difference in my life, I keep as the pattern the Word of God and what Jesus laid out for me.

What will keeping to the pattern lead to? Imagine a toilet (work with me), the shape of it came from a casting that took the porcelain and shaped it. The porcelain takes the shape of the mold and when it has been fired and cured, it's released from the cast, keeping it's shape. When I pour myself into the cast or pattern of God's Word and keep to it through the difficult trials and fires of life, I am strengthened and become more like Christ.

God, thank you for giving me the pattern of Jesus Christ. Help me keep to Your pattern when others seem tempting or easier, regardless of what others may say or think. Help me pour myself into the patterns of: love, grace, mercy, forgiveness, truth, courage, the cross, the Word of God,  and the Holy Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment