Thursday, October 29, 2009

Does it Matter?

Sometimes things that don't really matter, matter too much. And there's things that really matter that don't matter to us.

So you're on your way with a friend or spouse to dinner, and the question comes up: "What do you want for dinner?" The typical answer is... "I don't know, it doesn't matter to me."


It doesn't matter... it's an easy statement; one of convenience. It means I have no opinion, no passion, see no value, have no preference, a lack of effort, no thought, no fight and empty of reason.

When something matters, I give myself to it in every way possible. Like when I play Wii boxing with my girls... I punch my guts out, ducking and dodging; and still end up loosing. It matters so much that I'll keep playing over and over again until I can win.

Sometimes things that don't really matter, matter too much. And there's things that really matter that don't matter to us.

Daniel 3:16-18 ...King Nebuchadnezzar, "Your threat means nothing to us. If you throw us in the fire, the God we serve can rescue us from your roaring furnace and anything else you might cook up, O king. But even if He doesn't, it wouldn't make a bit of difference..."

Do the opinions of others matter to you? I wish I could say no all the time. The 3 young men in this portion of scripture didn't even allow the thoughts of the King matter to them.

Does the end result matter to you? We all want things to end "happily ever after", and will do all we can to see that it does. But even when the 3 young men were facing the potential of being thrown into the firey furnace, it didn't matter.

Does it matter what God does? We can confuse the Sovereingty with what seems to be a Just or noble. The 3 young men didn't even hold God to any sort of performance factor.

So what did matter to these 3 young men? It was simply their love for God.
  • Their love for God mattered more than the opinion of others
  • Their love for God mattered more than a favorable outcome in their favor
  • Their love for God mattered more than their love of what God can/could do; especially for them in their situation.
God's love for me mattered...
  • it mattered so much that He left the comfort and joy of heaven to become flesh,
  • it mattered so much that He died on the cross while I was still in my sin, and paid Him no attention
  • it mattered so much that He didn't even wait to see what I could do for Him in return
How much does it matter to me and you?

No comments:

Post a Comment