Saturday, October 10, 2009

Selah - stop and ponder

I was reading Psalm 67, a short passage of scripture containing only 7 verses. Through out the Psalm you will find the word Selah at the end of certain passages. It's a word that gives instruction to 'stop and ponder' or meditate on. Twice in this short passage Selah appears:

vs 1 - May God be gracious to us and bless us and make his face shine upon us, Selah
vs 4 - May the nations be glad and sing for joy, for You rule the peoples justly and guide the nations of the earth. Selah

These verses seem simple enough that to stop and meditate could seem to over complicate it. I believe that by taking the time to meditate on them, it actually makes it more overwhelming and huge. Here's some of my thoughts...

* God is God, and He doesn't have to bless us. It's not like we deserve it. He has already been gracious to me, and I don't really have too much to complain about. If I never recieved another 'blessing' from God, I wouldn't have any room to complain.

* I'm not entitled to God's blessing, so demanding Him to bless me would be arrogant and a slap to His face.

* Humility and gratitude is the attitude of heart that makes me want to bless my own kids. Am I humble and grateful?

* When was the last time I did truly ask God to bless me? I understand He has already done so much... is that wrong?

* God demonstrates over and over that He desires to bless me. Not because I deserve it, maybe because He simple wants to. My face shines because of HIm.

* Why does God bless me? Because I then can be a blessing to others. My face will then reflect His face, like the moon shines because of the reflection of the sun.

* Who benefits from God blessing me? Everyone... I am instantly. Others are eventually blessed through me, and ultimately God is blessed because it reflect and enhances who He is!

* Am I hindering, blocking or limiting the blessing of God in my life? Am I hindering others from being blessed? Through selfishness, ignorance, disobedience, etc?

* Do I have a desire and the ability to bless something as big as the nations? Is my vision too small?

What do you think... what do you Selah?

No comments:

Post a Comment