Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Why... not...How

This one word question is a powerful and important to discover the deeper meaning to situation or a circumstance. It it establishes reason, purpose and mission. As a kid, I wanted to know why I couldn't go outside, or have that piece of candy or have a friend come over. I also asked WHY I had to be the one to take out the trash, do my homework, brush my teeth, etc.

Today I had lunch at the Old Spaghetti Factory with a group of about 30 pastors who were 40 years of age and younger. It was a great time of hanging out, networking, getting ideas and meeting new people. There was a special guest, Les Welk (the Superintendant of the Assemblies if God for Washington and Northern Idaho), who was 55 years old, engaged us young leaders/pastors with a discussion about The Mission as a pastor and our churches.

Today, more than ever before, churches and pastors are experiencing the battle between the WHY and HOW. Leaders/pastors young and old, churches that have been around for several decades and only a few months are allow the HOW we lead or HOW a church functions to over-shadow the WHY we lead or exist as a church. When we hold too tight on the HOW, we can miss the value of WHY.

Think about marriage. WHY two people get married can get lost very quickly because they begin focusing too heavily on HOW. This is seen as early as the engagement period and wedding planning. They don't need to spend all that money on the designer dress, the extravagant decorations, the fancy invitations, the limo or if the candlelighters are perfectly in sync. Those things don't have any lasing impact on whether or not the marriage lasts when difficulties strike.  These may be preferences or deep desires, but the WHY is what needs to be remembered... because I LOVE YOU!

WHY did I marry my wife... because I loved her so much I wanted to spend my life with her... HOW we planned our wedding, where we went on our honeymoon, what our house looks, the cars we drive, who does what around the house, or who approves or likes what we do doesn't make our marriage a success. WHY we are married needs to be firmly established and never change, and HOW we demonstrate that can vary and differ as we desire.

WHEN WE LIVE WITH THE UNDERSTANDING OF WHY, THE HOW WILL FALL INTO IT'S PROPER PLACE.

WHY did Jesus come... because I needed a Savior. It didn't matter HOW he came... born in a stable.
WHY did Jesus die... because I'm a Sinner. HOW he died really isn't important... on a cross.
WHY does the church exist... because the message of Jesus Christ is the only way by which people can be saved... HOW we communicate can be as creative as we desire.

WHY do I love Christ, WHY do I make the decisions I make, WHY do I give life to this call of ministry, WHY do I give of my finances, WHY.... BECAUSE CHRIST LOVES ME!

No comments:

Post a Comment