Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Beyond Sight... Vision

Helen Keller was once asked; "What's worse than being blind?" Her response was; "Having sight but not having vision."

I don't know if I would call myself a "visionary", but I certainly do have floods of ideas, dreams and aspirations. At times it's really difficult to know what to do, when to do them and how to go about doing these things. Many of the thoughts that consume my heart come as I observe things around me; some inspire me, others dissastisfy me because I can see them as being so much more than what they currently are.



There are hundreds of books written to give motivate and help people acheive their vision. Many times it's related to to business; large corporations looking for greater financial gain, or social justices. There are individuals who aspire to accomplish great things: being a professional athlete or an Olympian, acheive a certain status or position, conquer a challenging task that requires great discipline (being fit, running a marathon, climbing a mountain). There's nothing wrong with these, I admire all of them.

God is the ulitimate authority on vision. Everything He does is because of vision. Here's just some of the things that the Bible tells us about it.
  • Without vision in our life, we will wander and waste away.Where there is no vision, the people perish. - Proverbs 29:18
  • Vision comes from the heart of God and He gives it to us to accomplish His purpose. I spoke to the prophets and gave them many visions;  - Hosea 12:10
  • Regardless of gender or age, the Spirit of God empowers us to live a life of purpose.  I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; your sons and daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions.  - Joel 2:28
  • Vision that is given from God is bigger than just one's ability. It's to be shared to motivate and activate others to rally around a common goal to accomplish a God sized vision. The bigger the vision, the greater the impact. the Lord answered me and said: "Write down the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it.  - Habakkuk 2:2
  • Vision has different stages and cannot be denied regardless the challenges and obstacles. For the vision is yet for an appointed time... it will not lie. Though it tarries, wait for it, because it will surely come, it will not tarry.  - Habakkuk 2:3
  • Where there seems to be a lack of resources, or walls of impossibilities, God is already at work to make it possible. For I am about to do something new. See, I have already begun! Do you not see it? I will make a pathway through the wilderness. I will create rives in the dry wasteland.  - Isaiah 43:19
I can't explain all that I sense inside of me, but I do believe that God, by the Holy Spirit, is making me even more aware of the vision that God has for me in my life, my family and for our church. It's exciting and overwhelming... and I find myself at a loss to even know where to begin and how to go about doing these things that consume my heart. All I can say is I am willing... even if I don't feel ready.

More on this in the days to come...

No comments:

Post a Comment